May 24,2018 MATTHEW CHAPTER 6
Today, I was challenged by the need to forgive. Forgiveness of others is the overflow of God's forgiveness of us. If we realize how much we need God's grace, we will freely extend it to the people around us. Withholding forgiveness does fit with the Gospel.
How did the Spirit challenge you from the reading today? Share what you are learning with your brothers and sisters in a comment to this post.
How did the Spirit challenge you from the reading today? Share what you are learning with your brothers and sisters in a comment to this post.



(Faith Sanders) I think I was challenged most by Matthew 6:5-6. Where Jesus tells us not to pray like the hypocrites, who stand in the street telling everyone that they are about to pray, but rather pray in private. I'm not saying that when we pray, we stand in the streets broadcasting it, and I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I myself find that sometimes it's simply easier to only pray when I need something, beginning a prayer with 'I need' or 'please do' instead of just saying thank you for what God has already given me. And I feel like that's kind of like being a hypocrite. Saying I am a Christian and that I have a good relationship with God, but then I only ask him for things, I don't thank him for things. Does that make sense?
ReplyDeleteThat makes total sense Faith and I can really identify with that struggle. I am learning slowly the great joy of listening more and being quiet in prayer and His Word. Sorta like asking Him, "What do you want to talk about?" And then letting Him direct the conversation.
DeleteI agree Faith
DeleteAlso Mr. Waggoner I wont let me follow this blog it doesnt even come up as an option.
DeleteI understand that, Faith... Sometimes i can get so caught up in doing things for other people, and for other people to see, that i miss the whole point. We are on this earth to make Jesus known, and not ourselves. It is hard. Hard to fight the battle and not give in to sin. To thank God before we give Him a list of things we want Him to do. Pride enters our hearts and it looks good to us at first, but it is a weapon in disguise. But we can always know that Jesus, our King, is stronger than all the power of the enemy, and with Jesus, we have victory
Deleteif that came as unknown, it was Hannah
DeleteGreat discussion everyone. It is so encouraging to see you all wrestle through through the implications of the Gospel together. We want to stay connected to Jesus and let His goodness overflow through us. Let's not be content with just "looking good" any more.
DeleteThe "Follow" option is under the schedule of our One Another gatherings. On a phone you won't see it till you hit the three small horizontal lines in the top left of the homepage. Let me know if you don't find it.
Delete(Hannah) One of the verses that stood out to me was 6:20-21. "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." This verse really speaks to my heart, because before i met Jesus, i didn't know where to find that treasure, treasure that would never fade away, treasure that is unchanging. But then i met Jesus. I didn't find Him, but He found me. He showed me where i could find never-ending joy, love that will never fail, and He showed me who He is. That treasure that won't ever fail can only be found in Jesus. He is the only one who can break the chains that we have put ourselves in and set us free. He is the solid rock on which i stand and will never be shaken. He is my treasure
ReplyDeleteSo true, Hannah! I like how you said, "I didn't find Him, but He found me." He really is everything we need and want even before we realize it. He initiates our relationship with Himself. He is the author and perfecter of our faith! I never have to worry about my grip on this all surpassing treasure because He is holding on to me!
Delete